Monday, August 25, 2014

Introduction

Hello:
If you have stumbled across this blog you probably need some help in writing. You may be overwhelmed, nervous, or frustrated with all the ins-and-outs of writing a college paper. I am here to tell you that it doesn't have to be that way. I want this blog to be a valuable, easy to understand resource to get you started on your college writing journey. I am going to take you through the very basics of the writing process, link to other web-pages, and give you other ideas of where to go for help. This is not an in depth, all encompassing blog, but hopefully it will help a few of you.

The first thing I would like to suggest to college students is that if you only buy one textbook in college then buy whatever writing handbook you need for English 101. This handbook should be helpful with everything from grammar to formatting. If you can't afford that textbook then buy a cheaper but updated edition of a similar one. It will be a lot more in depth than I can be, and I recommend you make it your best friend. The next thing I would suggest is to establish communication with your professor if you are having trouble. Your professor will be able to either help you or direct you to a tutor or writing center on campus that can.

This brings me to my next point, if you campus has a writing center then visit them. I have been a tutor at a college writing center for a year now, and I can testify that students who utilize the services offered there get better grades. There will be other sites that I will link to in the future that can help you with some other more specific writing needs as well. For now I will give you a sneak peak at what posts you can expect in the days ahead.

1. Understanding your writing assignment
2.How to pick a topic
3.Research
4. How to write a thesis statement
5. Outlining and organizing.

This is just the first five lessons.I have many more planned. I encourage you to stay tuned for more. Also, please feel free to leave questions, and I might just devote a whole blog post to those.





No comments:

Post a Comment